Latest News

Full disclosure of facebook bugbusters app security vulnerabilities by SANTHOSH TUPPAD

Full disclosure of facebook bugbusters app security vulnerabilities by SANTHOSH TUPPAD

A bit of overview about BugBusters

BugBusters is a facebook app launched by uTest which is a crowd-sourcing community for software testing. This game is a flash game and to look at the game or play the game please visit http://apps.facebook.com/bugsbusters/?ref=ts

This game was launched as a contest which had 3 prizes being first prize as iPad and other 2 prizes as Digital Cameras.

What happened after I discovered the security vulnerabilities?

This game was already live and I could see lot of activity from the users around the globe. Once I found this, I quickly documented the report with the necessary details which could help uTest or the development vendor to fix it.

Once the report was ready, I contacted VP of Marketing Mr. Matt Johnston and Mr. Peter Shih who is a community manager via e-mail. They responded quickly with interest to look into the details. Thanks to Matt for introducing the development company to whom I reported these bugs (The development company name is: Blonde20 – http://blonde20.com/).

Those security vulnerabilities were fixed within the same week I reported them. Thanks to Blonde20 folks for fixing it very soon. The fix was not including the details like Score, Profile ID, profile Name etc. in the POST_DATA form. Once they fixed it I tried reproducing it and could not reproduce the same however, I did not explore for more vulnerabilities for the new fix if there were any because I got busy for the BugDeBug conference and other tasks.

This is all good but, where is full disclosure? Well, I have it for you here.

I did not win the game but, at least for me I am the top most winner and have a feeling of winning billion dollars. I wish all the security testers, researchers, newbie (ethical) hackers to learn from my findings and help the web community to protect from the bad guys out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

24x7 online , we happy to answer you
tamilcypc@gmail.com

Disclaimer

This Blog and its TUT's are intended for educational purposes only, no-one involved in the creation of this TuT may be held responsible for any illegal acts brought about by this Blog or TuT.



Featured Post

Custom Domains And HTTPS Redirection Code